To create a shortening URL for SMS, follow these steps:
- Choose a reliable URL shortening service: There are several popular services available, such as Bitly, TinyURL, Ow.ly, and Rebrandly. Select one that suits your requirements.
- Sign up: Create an account on your chosen URL shortening service. This step might be optional depending on the platform, but having an account will allow you to track and manage your short URLs later.
- Copy your long URL: Copy the full URL that you want to shorten. This could be a link to a webpage, a document, an image, or any other online resource.
- Enter the URL in the shortener: Go to the URL shortening service and find the input field where you can paste your long URL. Paste it into the field and click the "Shorten" or "Generate" button.
- Get the short URL: The service will process your request and generate a shortened URL. Copy the generated short URL.
- Test the short URL: Open a web browser and paste the short URL into the address bar. Ensure that it redirects to the correct page.
- Use the short URL in your SMS: In your SMS message, replace the long URL with the short URL you obtained. This will save valuable character space in your message.
Remember to test the shortcode in various devices and ensure it doesn't exceed the maximum character limit allowed for SMS (usually 160 characters).