Header tags are important for both the visual organization of content on a web page and for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Here are some tips for writing header tags for SEO:
- Use only one H1 tag per page: The H1 tag is the most important header tag on a page, and it should be used to introduce the main topic or theme of the page. Use only one H1 tag per page to ensure that search engines can easily identify the main topic.
- Use H2, H3, and other header tags to structure content: Use header tags in a hierarchical order to structure your content. For example, use H2 tags to separate major sections of content and H3 tags to separate subsections within those sections.
- Use descriptive and relevant text: Use header tags to describe the content that follows them. Make sure the text you use is descriptive and relevant to the content that follows the header.
- Use keywords: Including relevant keywords in your header tags can help search engines understand the topic of the page and improve its ranking in search results. However, make sure not to stuff too many keywords in your headers as this can negatively affect your SEO.
- Keep it concise: While it’s important to be descriptive, keep your header tags concise. Try to keep them between 15-65 characters in length to ensure they fit within search engine result pages.
- Use CSS to style your header tags: While header tags can be used to provide structure to your content, their visual presentation should be handled using CSS. This will ensure consistency in the presentation of your content while allowing you to adjust the styling without changing the content.
By following these tips, you can effectively use header tags to improve the SEO of your web pages.