To check if Google Tag Manager (GTM) is working properly on your website, you can follow these steps:
- Install the GTM container snippet: Make sure you have installed the GTM container snippet on your website. You can find this code in your GTM account under "Admin" > "Container" > "Install Google Tag Manager." Ensure that the container code is placed in the head section of all your website's pages.
- Preview mode: Open your GTM account, navigate to your container, and click on "Preview" in the top-right corner. This will enable the GTM preview mode.
- Visit your website: Go to your website or any specific page where you have implemented GTM.
- Inspect the page: Right-click on the page and select "Inspect" (or "Inspect Element") from the context menu. This will open the browser developer tools.
- GTM Preview pane: Within the developer tools pane, navigate to the "Console" tab. Look for a GTM container message that starts with "Google Tag Manager is running."
- Click on links/buttons: Interact with your website by clicking on various links or buttons that trigger specific events or pageviews.
- GTM container updates: As you navigate through your website and interact with different elements, check the GTM preview pane for updates. You should see various tags, triggers, and variables being fired or updated.
- Tag validation: If you have specific tags implemented, such as Google Analytics, Google Ads, or Facebook Pixel, you can check their firing in the GTM preview pane as well. Make sure the associated tags fire properly when they should.
- Debug/error messages: If any issues occur, check for error messages or warnings in the preview pane console.
- End preview mode: After verifying that GTM is working as expected, you can end the preview mode in the GTM interface.
- Check real-time data: To further verify the implementation, you can check real-time data in associated analytics platforms like Google Analytics or Facebook Pixels. Look for live data updates when you perform specific actions on your website.
By following these steps, you can ensure that GTM is properly configured and functioning on your website.