To perform a site audit with Semrush, follow these steps:
- Create a Project: Sign in to your Semrush account and navigate to the Projects section. Click on "Create a new project" and enter the URL of the website you want to audit.
- Configure the Project: Select the location and device type you want to target for the audit. You can also set up a competitor analysis if desired. Customize the settings based on your requirements and click on "Create Project" to proceed.
- Set Up the Site Audit: Once the project is created, you will be redirected to the Site Audit dashboard. Click on "Set up Site Audit" to configure the audit parameters.
- Configure Site Crawl: In this step, you can determine how deep you want the crawler to delve into your website. Customize the maximum number of pages to crawl, the maximum response time, and the throttle rate. You can also define any specific subdomains or URL patterns you want to include or exclude from the audit. Click on "Start Crawling" when you are ready.
- Wait for the Audit to Complete: Semrush will start crawling your website and analyzing its various pages and elements. This process may take some time, depending on the size and complexity of your website.
- Review the Audit Results: Once the audit is completed, you will be able to access the findings in the Site Audit dashboard. The results will be categorized into different issues such as errors, warnings, and notices. Click on each category to view the specific issues found on your website.
- Analyze and Resolve Issues: Review each issue to understand its impact on your website's performance and SEO. Semrush provides detailed explanations and recommendations for each issue, along with suggested actions to resolve them. Prioritize the issues based on their severity and start fixing them one by one.
- Monitor Progress: As you resolve the identified issues, monitor the progress of your website's health in the Site Audit dashboard. Semrush provides a progress bar to help you track the improvements made. Continue addressing the issues until you achieve a satisfactory audit score.
- Export Reports: Once you have completed the necessary improvements, you can export the audit report as a PDF or Excel file. This report can be shared with your team or used as a reference for future optimizations.
By following these steps, you can efficiently perform a comprehensive site audit using Semrush and optimize your website for better performance and SEO.