To set up custom dimensions using Google Tag Manager, follow these steps:
- Access Google Tag Manager and select the appropriate container or create a new one.
- Click on "Variables" in the left-hand menu.
- Under "User-Defined Variables," click on "New."
- Choose the appropriate variable type based on the custom dimension you want to set up. For example, if you want to set up a custom dimension to track the logged-in status of users, you can use the variable type "First Party Cookie" to retrieve a cookie value that indicates the logged-in status.
- Configure the variable settings based on the chosen variable type. For the "First Party Cookie" example, you would need to specify the cookie name and any additional settings required.
- Save the variable and submit the changes to the container.
- Go to "Tags" in the left-hand menu and click on the tag that should fire when you want to capture the custom dimension.
- Under "Tag Configuration," click on the tag type drop-down and select the appropriate tag type based on what you want to track. For example, if you want to track the custom dimension when a button is clicked, you can choose a "Click" tag type.
- Configure the tag settings as required. For the "Click" tag example, you would need to specify the trigger that determines when the tag should fire, such as a click on a specific button.
- Save the tag and submit the changes to the container.
- Click on "Preview" at the top right to test your setup.
- Check if the custom dimension is being captured correctly by previewing your website and verifying the tag firing and the custom dimension value being captured.
- Once you've confirmed the setup is working, click on "Submit" at the top right to publish the changes to your live container.
Remember that you also need to configure Google Analytics to use the custom dimensions you set up in Google Tag Manager. This typically involves creating the custom dimensions in your Google Analytics account and mapping them to the corresponding variable in Google Tag Manager.