The Multi-Account Containers extension is a feature offered by the Firefox web browser. It allows users to separate their online identities and activities by isolating them into different containers. Each container works as an independent browsing environment with its unique set of cookies, storage, and tracking information.
The extension aims to provide enhanced privacy, security, and convenience while browsing the web. Here's how it works:
- Installation: Users can add the Multi-Account Containers extension to their Firefox browser from the Firefox Add-ons store.
- Container Creation: After installation, users can create various containers based on their desired categories or purposes. By default, a few common containers like Personal, Work, and Banking are provided.
- Container Customization: Users can customize each container by assigning a unique name, color, and icon to easily differentiate them.
- Container Isolation: Whenever a user visits a website, they can right-click on links or use the extension's toolbar button to open the link in a specific container. This isolates the browsing session within the chosen container.
- Tab Isolation: Users can also set up the extension to automatically open certain websites in specific containers every time they visit them. This ensures that the websites always load within their designated containers.
- Identity Separation: Containers keep separate sets of cookies, local storage, and other site data for each browsing context. This helps prevent tracking of user activity across different websites or services.
- Syncing and Management: Users can sync their containers across multiple devices using a Firefox account. Additionally, the extension provides options to manage and organize containers efficiently.
By utilizing Multi-Account Containers, users can maintain distinct online identities, secure personal information, control cookies, prevent sites from sharing data, and easily switch between contexts while browsing.