Tracking affiliate marketing in Google Analytics involves setting up proper tracking links and customizing your Google Analytics reports. Here are the steps to track affiliate marketing in Google Analytics:
- Set up a unique tracking URL for each affiliate: Create a unique tracking URL for each of your affiliates using UTM parameters. UTM parameters are additional tags that you can add to your URLs, which will be tracked by Google Analytics.
For example, your URL may look like:
- Customize your Google Analytics reports: To track the performance of your affiliate marketing campaigns, you need to customize your Google Analytics reports to capture the affiliate data.
- Navigate to the Admin section of your Google Analytics account.
- Under the View column, click on "Custom Definitions" and then "Custom Dimensions".
- Create a new custom dimension and name it "Affiliate".
- Set the scope to "Hit" and enable the "Active" toggle.
- Save the custom dimension.
- Implement the tracking code: You need to add the custom tracking code to your website to capture the affiliate data.
- Obtain your Google Analytics tracking code from your account.
- Edit your website's HTML and insert the tracking code, which typically goes between the and tags.
- Add the following line of code after the Google Analytics tracking code: ga('set', 'dimension1', 'insert_affiliate_name');
Replace "insert_affiliate_name" with the affiliate name or ID specific to that tracking link.
- Verify tracking: Test your tracking links to ensure they are working correctly. Visit the unique tracking URLs with UTM parameters and check if the data is being captured in your Google Analytics account.
- Analyze affiliate data: Once the data starts flowing in, you can analyze it in Google Analytics. Navigate to the "Behavior" section and explore the data under "Site Content" or create custom reports to analyze the performance of your affiliate marketing campaigns.
By following these steps, you will be able to track affiliate marketing in Google Analytics and gather valuable insights into the effectiveness of your affiliate campaigns.